Lots of photographers asks me what camera equipment I use for my wedding photography and why.
The answer is it depends it’s unrealistic to carry absolutely everything. I have to choose my kit to suit the situation, light and location. But it’s amazing on a good day what can be done with one camera and a single prime lens.
Generally whats in the Camera bag is.
- Canon 5d mark ii camera
- Canon 7d camera
- Canon 16-35mm f2.8 L
- Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L
- Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L
- Sigma 50mm f1.4
- Sigma 85mm f1.4
- Canon 580 ex 2 flashgun
- ST E2 flash trigger
- 100 gb of scandisk compact flash memory cards
- B&W Polarising Filter, Fader ND Mk2 filter and Lee Graduated filters.
- Think Tank retrospective camera bag
- Doberman Camera bag alarm.
As well as the above I have other kit in the back of the car.
- Canon 1ds mark 2 (still a good backup camera)
- Sigma 8mm fisheye lens. (For creative wide angle images) Rarely used and maybe sold
- Canon 14mm super wide angle lens.
- Carl Zeiss 35mm f2 amazing manual focus lens
- Canon 24-105mm f4 (Spare standard zoom)
- Canon 50mm f1.4
- 1.4x convertor.
- Canon 430 ex2 flashgun
- Canon 580 ex flashgun
- Video light
- Sekonic light meter
- Popup portable background
- 2 softbox, 2 umbrellas, grid and snots
- Manfrotto monopod
- Manfrotto cx pro 4 carbon fibre tripod with fluid ball head.
- Nodal Ninja panoramic head. Rarely used and maybe sold
- Manfrotto lighting stands
For those who are in the know it will be no shock to see me using Canon 5d Mk2 rather than 1Ds mark3. However you may wonder why I’ve chosen to use a couple of sigma lens and a carl zeiss lens rather than L series lens. It wasn’t purely cost the auto focus speed is better in very low light with the sigmas and I love the clarity of colours of the carl Zeiss lens produces.
I just pre ordered the new top of the range Canon 1DX. I belong to Canon Professional Network and got to try this camera before it’s public release. I can tell you it’s an amazing bit of kit and ticks all my wish list.
At £5300 it’s not a cheap option but creatively what this camera is able to do for me is fantastic. I going to be able to capture images that are currently impossible. Images that gives me that edge in what is a very competitive market. Auto focus speed and image quality in very low light are the two biggest factors for me. The metering is superb and being able to recording to two cards at the same time adds to personal peace of mind.